Sunday, November 16, 2008

All of The UnWavering (Pt 1)


About 6 months ago, I left Atlanta for home and said goodbye to some good friends. I admit to having doubts about whether the friendships would last but.....there are no doubts now. My junior year was my best year and it is due to those new friends. But, moving on to the summer back home....I knew it would be hard but it got almost overwhelming. Let me explain:

When I got home, we celebrated my sister graduationg from High School. [We are so proud and she is doing good at USC]. I hesitated to unpack because going back to Sparkle City is like walking into a trap. You get in and you cannot get out. There is so much opportunity in Atlanta and good people and Spartanburg just.....different. If you are black male, you need to leave because chances are you might get killed or through away your life because you think working in a factory is the best you can do. One good thing is I had a new asset to my room...my Georgian flag & prayer. [It meant a lot, that's the best way I can explain].

So, I get home and do my usual "job" thing meaning I get two (TJ Maxx & tutoring Physics). Together, I made decent $$. The struggle was preparing for the MCAT. I studied, took the test, and realized my studying was useless. My MCAT score was so bad that when I got it, I immediately signed up for another test the same day. Because of re-taking the test, I got no free time during the summer. I get up, jog, study, go to work, study, then try to sleep (I never sleep good at home). While doing all of this, I also volunteered at a free healthcare clinic where I saw some awful stuff. People too poor to pay for the medication, too sick to work, sick kids. Forget that stuff on TV, this was real life. I learned so much about how important helping people is (forget about if they have money) but it was heavy on my heart. I don't cry...but on my first night I almost did cause this woman was begging for help. [I'm not sure if the got it :( ]. So many people need help but not enough people are offering. Guess I will have to do it. Over the summer, me and Yaz definitely became closer through our mutual struggles. She gave me advice and I gave her advice. Givi always offered "supportive" words. I really appreciate it cause he was/is dealing with some pretty major stuff over there. I was watching CNN all the time cause I was freaking out....things over there are still...I don't know....but I do know my friend is still good.

Aside from academics, we (me and my sisters) had to worry about my mother being at home alone. Plus, she works two jobs! If something happens to her, we are not there. I worry about it a lot. In the spring, my father went to jail for stealing. Before I came back to school, he was out and requested to write me. My response was "yeah, whatever". He is trying to fix his life for the...100th time, no exaggeration. That's cool but don't think that I am going to be a part of that. I can help people who are more deserving, let me move on before I get mad.

The summer ends and I made a little money but all of it goes towards medical school applications. Then I find out that I lost a damn scholarship. Now, I gotta find money for books cause I got 6 classes (1 with a lab). I endure...to be continued

2 comments:

NilePrincess said...

Aww, Travis I'm sorry things aren't going so hot, but always know that your friends are here for you. Although words of support can only do so much, know that there are those out there who are always willing to lend a hand-be it literal or figurative.

Oh and just in case I haven't mentioned how much you saved my life in Orgo..Thank you =)

TM said...

That definitely makes me feel better, thanks :)