Sunday, October 25, 2009

G Status


As the semester progress I notice one thing that I get more and more stuff to study, so this lead to me being on the blog less which in terms lead to certain people calling me out on the blog. Besides that the semesterhas been going great! I finished my first meaningful semester this past summer and now halfway through my second semester. One thing about medical school is that there is never a lack of information. I have come to learn that you can never learn everything perfectly for every exam. But, overall Med school is not hard it is just lots of information that you have to learn and teachers only test you on the 20% of all the information you know which get you mad. But being in a new city is cool but I do miss the WTF family and some others. This year so far has solidify my drive to be a family physician. It is a simple decision, it is a choice between being happy and making lots of money and in the Medical field the two don't always equate. I have come to learn the the kids that attend medical school aren't like Trivi and G much, most of these students have family in this already and they think that 120,000 is not a lot of money. I don't really understand that because my family has made due with under 50,000 for all of my life and we never had anything to complain about. But, I have met some great people and some great professors which is pretty fun. I have been able to go out a couple of times but I had the most fun when we went to AJ's bar which was pretty interesting and fun. This was the first time I have partied with the majority. Every song is their favorite song. But,this year has been very exciting especially since winter break should be fun wiht Igor, Travis and Rico coming down. We need to set a date so we can coordinate.

3 comments:

NilePrincess said...

I just don't understand how 120,000 is not enough to be comfortable? I mean, OK fine you might not get everything you want. Like not all the luxuries in life that 200 or 300 grand might get you. And maybe you have to pay more taxes when your making that much money, but I definitely agree with you G, that amount at least doubles the average my family has made most of my life.

I don't know about anyone else, but my mom at least wants me to end up in a career that will make more than out current status is, just so that I won't have to deal with financial stresses that are commonplace everywhere. And as much as I say "I don't care about the money" of course I agree with my mom, but I just do not understand how making 6 digits cannot be 'enough.' (And even with lawyers and doctors who pay malpractice and other insurance and taxes and all that isn't the final income still 6 digits or close to it?)

I'm so glad your pursuing something that makes you happy G! It makes me happy :)

TM said...

If we use the same logic as Yaz, it makes sense that some people want to make 200,000+ b/c they might come from a household of physicians that made...let's say 150,000. Nobody wants to go down economically. In America, that's a sign of you digressing. If we say that its okay to want more than you had growing up, then we must apply that to everyone regardless of whether they come form a household that brought in $50k or $250K. Still, it is all a lot of money to me but it should be b/c those numbers like $150k seem like fantasy salaries from where I'm coming from.

With that said, I think it really reflects the type of people that med schools let it. They intentionally don't ask "how much money do you wish to make from your medical career?" in the interview process.

NilePrincess said...

I agree and disagree at the same time. To a certain extent it's ok to want a little more than what you had growing up, but honestly some people should be happy to have the same as they had growing up if they lived in a comfortable situation. For instance, making $50,000 a year might not be a good situation for a family of 5 or 6, but it might be OK for a family of 3.

So yes, nobody wants to go down economically, but I think some people should be ok with staying at the same relative level. And our parents will always want better for us regardless especially if they struggled to come to America in the first place in hopes of a better future for their family or if they struggled raising their kids on their own.

Oh an by saying "I think it really reflects the type of people that med schools let it." Are you referring to how many people in medical school are in it for the money as much as or more than the patient care?