Friday, May 29, 2009

Free Flowin Fridayz (Week 9)

Things always happen the way they do for a reason...right? Or so we are told. I like to believe so, but sometimes the reason chooses to remain elusive-in my case, it seems-indefinitely. You might make plans for things to happen a certain way, and you even had back-up plans in mind, but then what do you do when ALL these plans just seem to fall through? Or if they don't fall through completely they become a big, yucky mess of crap? Well my dear friends, I have no answer for this one. I wish I did. I WISHI knew...something...anything!
At this point I know nothing, and the summer isn't much of a summer when your living in limbo. You can't quite relax, and you have no idea what your doing/what to do. Alas let me stop beating around the bush and just explain the dilemma I currently face and who knows maybe one of you might have better pointers than all the 'adults.'

So, med school is currently not on the horizon. The way it stands I am rather burntout and considering the fact that I KNOW I NEED a lot of time to study for the MCAT to ensure that I do better, I need to give myself this summer to recoup, make some many, spend time with family, etc. Thus, it does not look like I will be repplying for the entering class of 2010, but instead 2011 since I probably won't be retaking the MCAT until September at the earliest, but prob January *this is the first big well DAMN this wasn't how I planned things to be, definitely wasn't planning to take 2 years off* Now this Jan MCAT option is only if I don't get into a post-bac or Master's program. Now here is *oh shit dilemma 2*. Should I really do a post-bac or master's and if not what the hell else would I be doing? The more I look at these post-bacs, the more I wonder..will I really have adequate time to prep for the test from hell? or will I repeat Junior year all over again? ALSO these programs are EXPENSIVE and they don't offer very good 'free money' or grants...[I mean not that I've gotten into one yet, but my brain always things of a bunch of things at a time]  So the main question is post-bac or not? and if not..then what will I be doing for 2 years? I could study real hard for the MCAT, retest, and then maybe go to Egypt to study for Arabic or stay here and take a science course at UNF, while possibly getting research experience somewhere or finding a medical or non-profit job of some kind  (or of course I could try this same group of things (research and Arabic in Egypt for a semester,maybe even with a science class on the side-and I haven't been to Egypt since 2005)..and the list goes on. I really hate this 2-years off thing, cuz then I coulda just applied for Teach for America...*sigh* What's worse is that me having no idea what my schedule is like causes my family's plans to be put on hold...and there is nothing I can do about it :/

So this is why life isn't as exciting as it could be right now [no I'm sorry Yazzy comments needed :) ] and I apologize in advance if you have to put up with me if I mention it to you in the next few weeks. For this is how I will be until I have made a decision. I thank those dearly, who have already put up with me. 

1 comment:

TM said...

Options:

1. I like the idea of going to Egypt (something that will mature you and look good on a resume). Maybe find a way to teach English and also take Arabic classes. Maybe conduct your own social research. You are the Anthro person of the blog!

2. Peace Core...two yrs, good pay. I almost roomed with a guy (he may still think we are) who just came back and he told me to "put med school on pause and do it". That is pretty strong words but he was serious.

3. Study for the MCAT and work this 1st year (earn money, travel a little). Then, 2nd year do Teach for America. It looks really good on a resume, you won't be rejected, and opportunity to experience a new place.

4. Post-Bac

5. Take a year off from anything academic. Find the highest paying job you can, pay students loads off, and travel the world!

6. Get a job at a medical school. Develop a network that leads into you getting into that particular medical school.

Apply to MUSC!! I am going to try to get on the Admission Board (there is a program that gets a few students on it which I think is great). Emory has a great reputation there. Also, they have a program to diversify the school which actually has worked but there are no Egyptians, to my knowledge. You would stand out. I, as someone already there, could write you a recommendation. Maybe talk to the right people about your application.