Saturday, May 16, 2009

Free Flowin Fridayz (Saturday edition)


Just got back home about 2 hours ago. Van is full to the MAX..no idea how I am going to unpack everything or where I'm going to put it. Anywhooo...that's why this post is late. Also I am still in complete denial about Monday and have yet to become anything but numb, so instead of discussing May 11 right now ( I think I will postpone that until next week) I have decided to share a poem I wrote as one of my assignments for my Comparative Literature class. It will serve as a good segue into what I will probably want to discuss later on. It is called a Sestina, which is a poem in a VERY specific poetic form (Google it to read up on the stipulations of how it must be written). It took me about 6-8 total hours of thinking and editing, etc to get the product I turned in. I myself cannot even explain what I mean by some of the things I wrote, but it was what my pen put on paper. And seeing how you are all friends that I truly love and value-after much debate- I have decided to share it with you. Comment/Discuss as you see fit:
***each stanza is actually 6 lines and the last is 3lines-the formatting on the blog may throw it off a bit***


Dear Friend


Friendship is like a roller coaster ride

filled with many twist and turns

that leave you fearing for your life.

Regardless of your terror you know you love

it and how happy it makes you

feel. You are flying almost like in your dreams.


But in those dreams,

you get on this ride

with your best friend. You

know he hates coasters and turns

to you and says, “I love

you dearly, but I fear for my life!”


“Fear not my friend,” you say, “for your life

is not one I would risk. Not in my wildest dreams!”

The connection you share is based on a mutual love

and respect for each other, not on a free ride

you can get to the airport. He turns

around, looks at the roller coaster and says to you,


“Fine, I’ll do this just for you.”

Those words are enough to make life

worthwhile. But soon this dream turns

into reality and you realize that not all dreams

come true the way you want them to. You ride

along the road of life hoping that the love


you give will be returned. Such a strong love

between friends is one that you

have always wished for and for which, you would ride

to the ends of the Earth and back. Life

means nothing without this bond and your dreams

mean the most when you have someone to share them with.Turns


out that this challenge of friendship turns

your heart inside out and spreads your love

all around. While it may be that your dreams

rarely come true, in the end it is up to you

to make the most of your life.

And never forget to enjoy the ride.


Your friendship turns many heads and raises skeptical eyebrows, but you

know the truth, believe in its depth and do your best to love your friend and the life

he lives, knowing that dreams are only as precarious as the roller coaster you choose to ride.

6 comments:

TM said...

1. I am interested in hearing the "debate" that you mentioned.

2. I need your address!

NilePrincess said...

1. Well at first didn't really want to share it all...then I thought well maybe just one person. Then I figured the poem is to confusing for even the writer [me] to handle I might as well share it with those closest to me. That's the short and sweet of it :)

2. Check your yahoo email.

t.H.S. said...

love it, glad you decided to share with us, on the blog


P.S. I like the title too :)

t.H.S. said...

I mean the Saturday Edition

NilePrincess said...

hehe thanks Givi. This kid I know gave me the idea of how to title my posts if they happened to be belated ;)

Anonymous said...

me gusta! i too am interested in your debate. hope everything is goin well