Friday, July 24, 2009

Free Flowin Fridayz (Week 17)

The Bronx Zoo and the Empire State Building were pretty cool. Stay tuned for Princess Chronicle updates in pics/videos :)

Soo the trip to the Zoo was an interesting one and really hit me in a strange way. Obviously being Emory Grads we hear about the huge socioeconomic divides in the world. I've seen it before, yeah. But going through the Bronx...I dunno. It really just got to me. All I could think of was WHY? WHY WHY WHY can one community be so poor and struggling when a community nearby-Manhattan is thriving and rich-Why? I myself do not have an answer, but I also disagree with those who blame this situation on the people themselves. I mean come on...when-in a whole span of 3 miles or more- I see maybe 1 white person and everyone else is Black, Hispanic and a few Asians...this little red alarm goes off in my head. Why? I mean if anything, don't generalize and say well these people have brought this situation upon themselves. No in an ideal world poverty would not be an issue. In Utopia everyone would help each other out. However, humans are inherently a selfish race and those few of us who have unselfish tendencies cannot make up for the rest. It just baffles me. Why? Just why? Why do we get to go to Emory while some of these kids will never be able to go to college? I just wish their were an answer or a way to fix it. But alas there is never a magical fix to such things.

2 comments:

TM said...

I don't think people are inherently selfish...if anything, it is probably something learned and (unfortunately) rewarded.

Poverty is an issue. Those unwilling to admit or accept the responsibility of the issue LOVE to place sole responsibility on those who are poor. That really really sucks.

I think I will comment more on this a later..time to continue working on my weekly :)

NilePrincess said...

yeh, it just really saddned me. I mean I've been on a Grady ambulance and in their hospital so I've been exposed to all that, but areas like the Bronx....I mean wow and ENTIRE city mostly poverty stricken and dealing wiht drug/crime problems. SO many places like this around the world. BUt it doesn't seem like much is being done. who knows...