Wednesday, July 29, 2009

People/Professors who Care...MATTER

Soo...As some of you may or may not know/have realized...I've been kinda stressing for the past few months [since even before graduation or..well maybe even since last summer...] Anyway, some people have a way with words. There comes a point in everyone's life when they need help making decisions and a push in the right direction. Your true friends are constantly there to provide you with the assistance you need. From experience I know that Geden doesn't beat around the bush . You lay out your story/problem, he'll give your a straight answer/suggestion and won't just leave you with the generic "It's up to you" answer [THANK YOU].

Everyone of us has his/her own style of 'advice giving' but to me, I think it is AWESOME when you have reached such a level of trust/mentor-mentee relationship with a PROFESSOR that you practically consider them one of your own friends. Luckily I have this type of relationship with 3 professors I took classes with at Emory. Below is a message (slightly edited for the sake of some anonymity) just sent to me by one of these professors [because I've been stressing to all 3 of these professors]. I just wanted to share this with you and really get you all to think about how important such relationships are. And also so that we can all learn from each others experiences. Friends are great, but I think an older, wiser, more experienced person treating you kind of like a friend is a very good/healthy thing to have in your life. It rounds out the whole deal and gives you a more well-rounded support system in my opinion.

"The bottom line is that your future consideration for admission to medical school will depend considerably on how much you can improve your MCAT, as well on some demonstration of continued commitment to becoming a doctor. Neither of your two plans will matter if your MCAT doesn't come up... I think medical schools would be happy with [a] postbac...if in the end your profile improves. The same is true if you were to go back to FL to take courses and then retake the MCAT and improve significantly. So from my perspective it is really up to you what you do, and I would select the path that you are most interested in following, because only then do you have a chance of demonstrating your commitment while optimizing your profile on paper. Any one would be impressed with your enthusiasm, dedication and motivation, so if you can bring up your MCAT that will help enormously. You know what you have to do!! And I am there to cheer you on.

All the best,
[professor X]"

4 comments:

*TREIZE* said...

Definitely a plus to have people around you who will give it to you str8---Grown folks are an even bigger plus cuz they been there done that.

Keep pushin and keep strivin to be whoever it is you wanna be becuz in the end, only YOU can stop forest fires....wait, sorry... only YOU can DO YOU--the thing is finding who YOU are ....and oh yeah, it's up to YOU. LOL I had to..

t.H.S. said...

I agree. even though sometimes straight answer might hurt but if it makes you realize all the things you've done wrong and right... it's all good.

TM said...

Professor X...as in Xavier from X-Men?

NilePrincess said...

Yeh, we don't always like to say things straight or hear them straight either. It seems to be a cultural thing at least. Maybe? I feel like most cultures are more prone to not want to take the responsibility for a piece of advice they've given or more generally it's easier to beat around the bush.

Rico-LOL yes someone had to. And I love the reference to Smokey Bear!

Travis- Yeh Professor Xavier, why not?