Saturday, February 13, 2010

Free Flowin Fridayz (Week 46)-Saturday edition

Normally you hear about addictions to things...material items or food for instance. That's normal right? But how often do you hear that a person has an addiction to another person. I for one will confess that this has happened to me twice since leaving Emory. Most recently, I have found myself thinking "oh dear...I think I'm addicted to ______"
I told one friend about this and she kind of laughed along with me saying it wasn't so abnormal considering the present situation I'm in (having graduated and moved back home :/ ) Anyway...being back here it seems like I've been at a loss for any real intellectual/intelligent conversation. A gaping hole had been created where all my Emory friends and professors had been. Granted I don't consider myself the brightest apple in the bunch, but I do enjoy a good stimulating conversations. Be it conversation about the health care debate, something else in the news, tea, good places to eat, good food, a movie, a book or just a getting to know more about an individual and his/her goals and aspirations and life in general. Listening to gossip and seeing the teeny boppers of today makes my brain feel like it's rotting. Makes my Emory degree feel worthless.

So this "Bob" character I mentioned last time...he fills that hole. It's like I can breathe again. I don't have to define every word that I say or write, I don't have to dumb down things I say so that he'll understand it. It's like one of my Emory buddies has come back to me! Unfortunately, I am once again walking that fine line of friendliness vs. flirtation (story of my life). I'm pretty sure he understands where I'm coming from because I've been quite straightforward with him, so it's cool. It's just the other crazies at work, but whatever. His interpretation of my addiction is that I have an "addiction towards intellectualized conversation...simply addicted to knowledge." I think that kind of fits my present situation. I like being able to chat with someone about anything from the weather to a recent movie to chocolate to tea to the news to career goals. It really helps keep your brain working. And I think that is vital. After all, according to research, around the age of 22 is when the our peak brain/mental capacity is. I am looking into plenty more years of school and by the time it starts back up I'll be a little ways removed from the 22 region so I have to keep it active somehow.


SN: Ferrero Rocher chocolate is simply delectable! Unfortunately it is a bit pricey and I am moneyless :/ Like a friend of mine said "This is why we need a man in our life" LOL. Yum yum expensive chocolate. Soo painful walking past it and not being able to buy it.

5 comments:

t.H.S. said...

I've been addicted to a person. It was not the best experience because the withdrawal was pretty painful.
I'm sure I know what you mean by saying you might be addicted. It's actually easy to get addicted to someone who understands and is there for you.

I ♥ Ferrero Rocher

NilePrincess said...

Does anyone know WHY Ferrero Rocher chocolate is SOOOOO expensive?!

NilePrincess said...

Oh and...just to clarify, we're talking about the social/intellectual addictions not the romantic ones, right?

The are similar but tug at slightly different parts of the heart and person.

If that makes sense.

t.H.S. said...

I'm talking about both.
The more someone understands and shares our views the more we want to be around them, right?
it might be hard to go on if that person is not around for whatever reason.

NilePrincess said...

hmm yeah...I know where your coming from.
It's a sticky situation, trying to walk that fine line between a friendly addiction, something more and the potential for a very painful withdrawal.