So yesterday, Thursday, June 4, Obama made a pretty amazing speech from a pretty amazing place: check it out here. You really should listen to it if you get a chance. I just turned it on as I was cleaning my room.Anyway... a few weeks ago this comment was made to me online:
"aside from your cynicism there is something special about you"
Rico and I had discussed how this was an interesting comment and so I finally got an explanation. Here is what I finally got back:
"You have a love for people that I haven't seen at Emory very often, and in general haven't seen in a very long time. Seeing you interact and laugh with your friends, and even those that you meet for the first time makes me smile all the time because of the genuine nature that you have. It may sound simple, and be easy for you but in this world it is very difficult to find people that are genuine; people that want to show others (friends) that they care and want them to know that everyday and every minute you're around them. This may be inaccurate what I'm saying, but this is what I see when I hang around you, and these are several of the reasons why I still fervently want to continue talking to you and being your friend : ) ."
Although the 'cynicism' part was never explained and that was the part I was most interested in, something is better than nothing :) This definitely ranks in the top 10 things that have ever been written to me. (I wish I could say "said" but people never use the phone anymore. People seem to be too shy, busy, unsure of themselves to be able to pick up the damn phone and hold a conversation. It is sad that this generation and the future ones are succumbing to the technologies such as text messaging, im-ing, etc. not to SUPPLEMENT their daily relationships with people, but as a REPLACEMENT for these relationships. I guess I should just go into my rant about this topic real quick...)
Don't get me wrong, texting, im-ing is useful, but it should not be the ONLY way to communicate. One friendship should not be made stronger through use of such technology while another friendship gets weaker because of the other person's inability to partake in this newer/more expensive use of technology. Granted if the friendship or relationship isn't strong already-fine text messaging/BBMing/im-ing are good ways to strengthen a relationship, but I am specifically talking about already strong friendships being overtaken by use of this technology. And now for my rant against the BBMing. This particularly IRKS the hell out of me. Not only do I feel like I am losing a friend(s) because of it..or at least not strengthening a bond with friends because of my lack of having it, BUT some people are soooo RUDE when using it. Examples:
~You meet with a friend to chat-throughout the convo he/she is constantly one their phone texting/BBMing and barely looking at you. No sir. Please give your friend the respect they deserve. If I am taking time out of my schedule to TALK with you face to face. leave the stupid phone in your purse or pocket, unless your legitimately on-call for something.
~At dinner-unless the phone RINGS and you must pick it up LEAVE it in your pocket/purse. There is NO NO NO NO NO NO NO need for you to constantly be on the damn thing while you should be chatting with your friends who are having dinner with you. By giving more of your attention to the phone or by multitasking (talking to friends and clicking away at your phone) you are DISRESPECTING your "friends"and giving off the image that you do not want to be with them. Do not do this please. If there are some important things that necessitate the constant use of your phone...notify your group so they are aware. But all out chats can be put on hold for the duration you are out with a group.
~DO NOT BBM/text back and forth when the person sitting in the middle of you does not have the ability to chat with you. It is obvious that your are BBMing back and forth when the clicking and beeping is instantaneous. And the giggles and looks over the head of the person between the two of you is soooo RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You either INCLUDE the person in this back and forth chat or wait until they are not near you. Do not intentionally make them feel left out. Do I feel that some of my friends have been "stolen" from be by use of such technologies? Yes! Am I upset by this? HELL YES! Anything I can do about it (besides express how much I hate it...and without getting these pricey services myself?) No. Not that I can see.
Ok back to the kind words that people say/write. I am of the opinion that what is spoken means more than what is written. And that actions mean much more than either of these. Yes I know that some people write better than they speak, but when you write, you have so much more time to edit your thoughts and you can lie without the other person being able to read your expression. Regardless of all of this. I appreciate kind words especially when they come from someone whom you believe had good intentions.
2 comments:
1. BBMing?
2. Whoever said that quote is bold and I like them for that. Them not explaining the "cynicism" part may mean that it is not a significant characteristic of your personality.
I think I will start making a few people explain/further develop some comments that they have made.
3. If the texting and what not that went on bothered you....you should have spoken up. Allowing yourself to be disrespected is not really different that disrespecting yourself. Or maybe next time, text them to "get the heck of the phone" or "look up at my expression".
And what if you are at movie with person and they text you rather than talk?
4. I think writing and actually talking are about equally important. People can keep what you write and have it with them whenever they need (to read) it. You can't always talk.
1. BBMing= BlackBerry Messenging (if you have a BlackBerry you can sign up fir this service and it is a special instant messaging service for people with BlackBerries.
2. comments made about you? I think it is always enlightening to have comments explained. some ppl don't like explaining, but I need my curiosity satiated
3. Oh-said persons have been told explicitly on several occasions how I hate it. But they still do it. They admit it's an addiction, but unfortunately there is not patch to help treat this problem.
If I am at a movie(and if they are sitting next to me), they can tap me and whisper in my ear. The light from phones is not fun for others around you. They should not (and this has been done) text me or text the person beside me and go back and forth texting while I am in the middle. (if I am not next to them then ok-text, one or two messages but not a convo)
4. I agree about them being EQUALLY important. I have my own personal experience that have me VERY weary of written messages [DEPENDING on how well I know/do not know the person] but if you can write you can talk and vice versa. And this of course depends on the depth of the relationship.
Post a Comment