Wednesday, June 10, 2009

PLEASE-comment-Tell me what YOU think


“To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved.”


-George MacDonald


What do you think about this? I have been struggling to figure out how I feel abut it for quite some time now, but I want to hear your thoughts first.

10 comments:

t.H.S. said...

hmmm, hard to say how I feel about this. I agree that trust is of great importance and I understand where this is coming from but I don't think these two can be compared. As a general statement it's well said and gives us something to think about but generalization means it is far from how things actiually are. I think everything is about specific events.

TM said...

I agree with it. A lot of times, love is an obligation. For example, you are obligated to love family (there is physiological evidence of such). As you get older, trust becomes something you only give when you choose to. This makes it a greater compliment.

Why do so many relationships & marriages break up?? It is not b/c the love just leaves....it is the trust that leaves! Love attracts while trust holds it together.

In Christian religion, it is understood that God loves all. For granting us life and everything else, what does God ask of us?? He asks for TRUST in his word.

Love is not really a compliment at all....when you think about it, you will realize we have no control of it! Trust is something we do control meaning we control who and when we give it. That makes it a great compliment to me.

Go Trust!!!
p.s. don't give it out

Paulee' said...

I agree with the quote. It's easy to love someone but harder to trust them. Also, essentially with trust could come love...


=)

*TREIZE* said...

I couldn't have said it better than TRIVI did.

I'm going to dwell on it though and think about how I really feel. I am leaning toward agreeing with it, but part of me feels that a person not loved is in greater trouble than a person not trusted.

NilePrincess said...

Now that a few of the deepest thinkers have replied...let me put this scenario into play for some perspective to see if it changes or adds to your thoughts [TREIZE began to touch on this a bit I think]:

What if you felt like you were trusted by a certain friend more than loved/cared about by this friend.

How would you feel/react?

*TREIZE* said...

Ok so after thinking of the scenario Yas gave, I'm going to explain why love is way more important than trust here....

if the distinction is clear, in other words if it is completely accurate that a person trusts me but doesn't love me, then that trust holds little to no value. The thing about loving someone is you actually desire for that person to trust you and vice versa. Take away the desire, and that trust is simply a product of logic, the actions I've done up to that point have natrually gained a person's trust. That is a compliment, but nothing any true relationship is based on--namely faith

Here's a scenario to make it clear. If God came down and let everyone know He was real and held all power in his hands. You'd better believe everyone would trust Him, but you think everyone would love Him? No....and it's those individuals whose faith is non existent, because their respect only goes as deep as what they can see, they cannot possess agape love. Those individuals are not said to have garnered a true faith in God and are thus cut off from salvation in many ways because they have no faith.

Now to bring it back. The person receiving the trust but not the love is "God" and has a responsibility to cut themselves away from a person (on the level of genuine affection) who says that's the case.

I know firsthand the difference--I trust someone greatly, but I do not love them. And even though that trust is essential for a good bond and many friendships end without it even in the presence of love, trust is necessary but not sufficient.

IMO

NilePrincess said...

hmm this is quite a bit to take in. But just to clarify TREIZE: Does your comment/explanation hold true if say you feel that someone's actions show that they trust you a lot, but they just do not show that they love/care about you as often as they trust you?

[It's kind of awkwardly worded I know...I can try to clarify some more if necessary. I'm just very intrigued by this quote and its many interpretations]

TM said...

It seems that people want to associate love and trust. It is very possible to have one without the other. But, both are much more valuable accompanied by the other.

For the scenario given by Yaz, hmmmm. First, it is not an insult for someone to trust you more than they love you. Accept it because you cannot force someone to love you....and you will look crazy trying to do it!!

Treize says that trust is not sufficient. This is true, but neither is love. Find people who have been together for a long time, ask them if the love shared between them has been all that they needed to stay together?? Nope, love is simply the strongest foundation to build a relationship on. If love was sufficient, finding "the one" would be so easy b/c everyone is capable of loving multiple people. What makes things last (and endure tough times) is the combination of love, trust, faith, and I'm sure there are a few more things.

On what Paulee said, I caution the "essentially with trust could come love". A lot of people may love that they are trusted but not actually be loving the person. It reminds me of back in elementary where you liked someone only and because they liked you.

NilePrincess said...

You bring up an interesting point Travis: "A lot of people may love that they are trusted but not actually be loving the person."

I feel like it may sometimes be difficult to determine how someone who trusts you really feels towards you. Not necessarily in a romantic way but all around.

My feeling on this are still muddled, but lie somewhere as a mix between Travis and Rico's thoughts. Maaaybe my dillema in figuring this out is separating trust and love. Or maybe more that I see love as a form of caring for someone and I don't think you can truly trust someone I do not care about. Or can you?....not sure.

Anonymous said...

i think you can trust a person and not love/care about them but you can't truly love/care about someone if you don't trust him or her. regarding the original post, i completely agree. i think these days love is losing its meaning bc people throw the word around so carelessly. if someone tells you they love you, you may wonder "does this person REALLY love me?" but if someone says "i trust you" you know its genuine. regarding the scenario, the way i would react would all depend on my feelings toward that person and how close i consider this friend to be to me