Monday, June 29, 2009

Treize and Truth Vol. 7

No....you never know when it's coming...I may do 3 in a week, maybe 3 in a month but never 3 periodically..oh well. Volume 7

BET AWARDS AND MIKE JACKSON*****

My thoughts on MJ's Passing and the BET Awards--First off Michael, rest in peace. What a remarkable performer--the man revolutionized music, dancing, entertaining, just being a creative artist with his amazing genius writing and performing songs. As an African American, he transcended color and became an American Icon. Though his life was tragic in the media's treatment of him as "Wacko Jacko", his behavior came as a result of psychological and physical abuse at the hands of his father. Michael at 50 had spent 40 years of his life headlining, entertaining and being anything but a normal child, doing the things children sometimes need to do to develop. Not only were the Jackson 5 at their peak, Joe Jackson did everything to ensure it would stay that way, even beating Michael.

Michael Jackson went on to become a great musical talent but, in the words of psychologists who evaluated him in the wake of his 2005 trial for child molestation, his mind had regressed to that of a ten year old. All the while Sony and the media did everything they could to hurt Michael and take advantage of him. Sony rigged his contract, Martin Basheer totally screwed him in a British interview--Michael was alienated. Thanks to his talent however, he developed a strong relationship with fans and always gave his all to please them.


This is particularly why my opinions of the BET awards are mixed at best. It seems many our age have given up on BET and don't watch it--as expected with college students and recent alumni--but the fact is BET was expected to deliver one of the earliest tributes as a significant venue and awards program. It was definitely a star studded event. Even Joe Jackson himself was in the audience.

But it seemed everything was in disarray. The teleprompter was apparently useless, some the stars (Ving Rhames and Tyrese) had the nerve to act like fools on stage and took a good Baby Boy reference that could have saved that portion too far. Lil Wayne, though I love him (no homo), performed one of the most vulgar songs he could have--Every girl. Drake had a bad ankle and was confined to a chair the whole time. Beyonce and Jay-Z prevented Letoya Luckett and Chris Brown from performing respectively and Keri Hilson bombed her performance. One of the Ojays, Eddie Levert slipped a "shit" on a live broadcast and Jamie Foxx and Neyo seemed to be every other performance. Jamie himself, struggled to keep the crowd involved. There were other hot spots but you get the point. Near the end of the program, Janet Jackson, in a remarkable feat of courage and display of honor, came out and addressed Michael's fans, thanking them for all their support. It saved the show in my opinion.....oh and Beyonce sang Maria (grrrrrrr-I just wanna....)

I got a lot of good feedback on my Facebook status after the show:

Janet made it all worth it....and looking at this mess tonight, I see why Mike was like eff everybody. I hope now people see what separated MJ and Janet from everybody else in entertainment...They were consummate professionals and wouldn't touch the stage, unless they were prepared to give it their very being.

And that pretty much sums it up for me....

*********RANDOM THOUGHT--MUSICAL MATURATION***************************

As you may have noticed, the blog has been active with musical inspiration, particularly in the form of rap. It really excites me that there is so much creative zeal on the blog. Not only have I improved with my ability to express myself, but so have the other guys--in particular, TRIVI's gotta really hot track--he really went hard and was just TRIVI in the song--if he hasn't already posted it, I'm gonna ask him to release it.

I'm done officially with school so I can get back to the lab. I do have a job interview with the GA Public Interest Group doing non profit work, so wish me luck. I hope they google me-lol-it'll help. I would.....But yeah, I'm trying to do the stuff I love like music while still getting rent paid. DO YOU people. You can ask TRIVI I always find time to keep my spirits high ; )

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What makes something beautiful in 3 sentences or less ***

Treize signing off

3 comments:

Rashida Amira said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TM said...

1. You make the artwork for it and I put it out there.

2 Beautiful..hmmm, I will give it my best try:

something is beatiful when its essence can be seen through any physical barrier

Anonymous said...

*little facebook thumbs up thing* great post rico! i thought the awards were a good effort in that they put the tribute together in so short a time, but a lot of people were acting foolish & really took away from that.

congrats on your interview & good luck!

i think its extremely hard to describe beauty in words