Friday, December 11, 2009

TRIVIal Thought - Short Leared Lessons

You ever argue with someone about whatever. Then, they realize that they were wrong. They apologize and you accept. Whatever the issue was, they adjust.....but in a short time afterwards, they are back to doing the same stuff that bothered you.

Like, I get on Geden about never posting. Then, he does a few post. After a week, he disappears again......(this was just me using an example, I am not in any way talking about Dr. Dade)

When things like this happen, I get a little lost. There can be no long-term relationships without long-term learned lessons. How long can you let someone repeat a negative pattern before you get too tired of their cycle. You forgive then they go right back to doing it again!

What's sad is that they may never realize (even if you speak with them about) that they keep doing the same stuff over & over. You get mad & argue which gets them to only pause their cycle....but, in a few days, they are right back doing it again.

I guess....if I can't break the cycle, I should choose not to be a part of that person's/people's cycle?

1 comment:

NilePrincess said...

In my opinion it all comes down to this:

How much do you value your relationship with this other person? If they have not done something to physically harm you or have not constantly lied for instance...Are you friend enough to keep forgiving? Have you ever thought that you yourself might be demanding a little much from the relationship?

I say this because looking back on my college years at Emory I was told on several occasions that the stress a certain friend was putting me through was not worth, that I should give this person one last chance and then disassociate myself. I didn't listen to them, but to my heart and my conscience. For once I'm glass I did listen to myself because no matter what this friend has put me through I know the caring in the relationship works both ways. We might not express it to each other in the same way (for instance one of us might be more or less vocal about it) but to me some friendships are worth keeping no matter the amount of stress. As long as this "cycle" is not alcoholism, etc. Is it a cycle that you absolutely cannot stand? Does this friend have a reason why he/she is doing this? Depending on the depth of a relationships some people's faults need to be overlooked in order to enjoy the more positive qualities of that person.